Monday, January 19, 2009

"I'll hide you away from the world you rejected"

I'm fascinated by a song and music video by Kosheen called Hide U, have been for years. The lyrics depict what I've felt for years for some friends who live in a world that hurts them. I've also in a way felt it towards myself. The world consumes us, makes us transparent, tears us apart. There's a fantasy of someone taking one away, so that one would never have to experience the horrors again. So many times I've wanted to take my friends away. They are so precious and I want to spare them from pain. But I have no place to take them.

The video depicts ugly concrete slum buildings and people alone in their flats, most of them showing signs of unhappiness and addiction (although nothing seems to be wrong with the transvestite boy, except living alone in that place). I recognize the atmosphere, that's what fascinates me, it's an atmosphere that has been with me a big part of my life. The ugliness, loneliness (the going home alone to a small flat is a big part of the atmosphere), unhappiness. People that are somehow trapped. The reason they are addicted is the emptiness, lack of community, lack of any compassionate spirit in society. Lack of humanity in the lives they are leading. Just work or school. Thinking about making money. And the music depicts this madness, the wanting to escape. Well, these are the things that I think about the video, not necessarily something the maker meant. Here's the lyrics and a link to the video.

Kosheen - Hide U
If you were in my heart I'd surely not break you
If you were beside me and my love would take you
I'd keep you in safety for ever protect you
I'd hide you away from the world you rejected
I'd hide you
I'd hide you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mFaBxE1OzE

"The world you rejected"... hits home. It describes the way I can't deal with this place, I have to curl up and choose not see it, it's so bad that my life depends on it that I don't take it in, don't believe it's true, because if the world is Hell, I feel so much horror that my mind breaks, that I die. Our society is so fucked up. I'm trying to get my ass to some ecovillage or anarcho-primitivist community and hope it's a tad better there. At least there's not the ugly suffocated concrete greyness of the city. The most I hope is that I could get something in my life that resembled a tribe, a family.

No comments: